A.P. Shaw Campus History
- May 1949, meeting of a group of residents at Rev. Stevenson’s home at 1564 Simms Drive.
- After Simms Drive, a discarded National Guard building was one of the first buildings used for Sunday School. It was used until May 1953, when a flash flood washed it away during the Fourth Anniversary Celebration.
- The East wing was completed in 1975. The West wing was completed in 1981. The church now forms the shape of a cross as it was revealed to Rev. Stevenson by God.
- In July 1990, Rev. Stevenson retired after 41 years of service after seeing to it that the final mortgage was paid off.
- July 1, 2004, Rev Ernest D. Lyles Sr. another Son of the church, returned to A.P. Shaw as senior pastor, after ministering in West Virginia for 20 years. Pastor Lyles served until June 2017.
- On July 1, 2009, Congress Heights United Methodist Church and A.P. Shaw United Methodist Church officially merged and became Brighter Day Ministries.
- Rev. Tommy Murray became pastor July 1, 2017. This is his first full-time appointment. He ministered in West Virginia prior to coming to Brighter Day Ministries.