Congress Heights Campus History
- By 1897, the original church building, with a membership of 15 adults, was built by volunteer laborers, which meant that it took a very long time to finish the church.
- In 1904, under the guise of Reverend William L. Orem, the small Sunday school was transformed into a church when the congregation raised enough money to add a room and tower to expand the church.
- The new sanctuary which was completed March 1945. With a vision to expand, the church acquired more of the surrounding property, and in 1954 it was decided to build the Educational Building, which has proved to be one of the best investments yet. In March of 1957, the new Educational Building was dedicated.
- In 1968, after 5 years of negotiations between the methodist and the Evangelical-United Brethren Church, the United Methodist Church resulted and Congress-Heights Methodist Episcopal Church became the Congress Heights United Methodist Church we know today.
- On July 1, 2006, Congress Heights United Methodist Church united with A.P. Shaw United Methodist Church to form the A.P. Shaw - Congress Heights Cooperative Ministry.
- On July 1, 2009, Congress Heights United Methodist Church and A.P. Shaw United Methodist Church officially merged and became Brighter Day Ministries.
- Pastors at Congress Heights Campus: Rev. Harold W. Watson (1982 - 1988); Rev. Manual R. Tay, Sr.; Rev. Sandra Greene; Rev. Hal Henderson; Rev. Raymond Hart; Rev. Ernest Lyles Sr.; Rev. Tommy Murray (July 2017).